Episode 21: Karen Tomlinson and Writing Rituals
Writer Mom Life Episode 21: Karen Tomlinson and Writing Rituals
Daphne had a lot of fun talking with Karen about her writing and self-publishing journey, including:
- How long it took her to write her first draft of 250k words! (Hint: not as long as you might think!)
- Transferable skills between her training role and her writing
- How the 25 authors worked together to hit the USA Today bestseller list
- Her strategy for getting her list to pay for itself
- Her weekly schedule (that includes a day off from everything business every week!)
- What her short-term goals are
- Why she may not ever want to transition to full-time writer
- Why writing to market just isn’t for her
(Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.)
We didn’t even realize there are so many ways to follow an author, so yet more great tips from Karen!
- myBook.to/ABOSAS Her next release in June. (The myBook.to links are great to track in what countries people are buying your books!)
- Bookbub follow
- Amazon.com author page
- Mailing list: http://karentomlinson.com/newsletter-landing-page/
- Facebook group
- Twitter @kytomlinson
- Blog: http://karentomlinson.com/news/
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ktomlinson.author/
- Instagram @karentomlinsonauthor
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15259538.Karen_Tomlinson
- Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/karentomlinsonauthor
J. R. Frontera’s Tips and Resources
Today in the tips, Daphne and I talk about the importance of ritual in our daily lives, and especially as it relates to writing! We discuss each of our own pre-writing or pre-working rituals, and how having such rituals can help get you in the right mindset to begin work on whatever thing you’re about to do.
We also talk about how having rituals is kind of a way of automating things, because of the way it gets you mentally prepared for your upcoming tasks.
And like one of our favorite guys Michael Hyatt says, there are three things to do to be more productive and have more time: Delegate, Automate, Eliminate!
So having certain rituals you do before a set task can be one way of helping you automate things.
And trust us, it really does work!
For more reading on the importance of ritual, check out the following resources:
- The Surprising Power of Daily Rituals by Michael Hyatt
- How to Set Yourself Up for a Productive Day by Michael Hyatt
- This Morning Routine Will Save You 20 Hours a Week by Benjamin Hardy
- My Daily Ritual by Wade Brill
- The extremely helpful Rituals for Living Dreambook, vetted by J. R. Frontera herself … it has helped her solidify her WHY, nail down what her ideal life looks like, and helped her set goals to get there.