Episode 19: Lee Savino and Dealing With An Unsupportive Family
Writer Mom Life Episode 19: Lee Savino and Dealing With An Usupportive Family
- How she didn’t quite meet her expectations of motherhood – and that’s okay!
- The two essential elements of her success
- How hard and fast and write to market play into her strategy
- Why she doesn’t read baby books (but devours craft books!)
- Her daily word count (it’s not even close to the 10k you might think it is!)
- Whether you need an MFA to be a writer
- How choosing to unconditionally love herself set her on the path to success
(Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.)
- Lee’s sexy books on Amazon
- Author advice newsletter: http://leesavino.com/author-advice/
- Free facebook group – a positive environment and support for writers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/masteryourmanuscript/
- She’s working on a course to help writers nail their brand and sell more books: https://millionaire-author-coaching.teachable.com/p/build-your-bestselling-author-brand. She’ll have more course offerings, etc, trickling out slowly this year via the email list. One will be specific to romance writers!
J. R. Frontera’s Tips and Resources
Today for our tips, we talk about something a little less fun than usual, but something that’s really, really important. We talk about how to stay motivated in your writing when you have an unsupportive family, whoever it might be in your life: your spouse, your parents, your siblings, or even your kids.
If this sounds like you, don’t be discouraged! You’re not alone! Our Writer Mom community has been there, done that, and they had some great ideas for how to deal with this unpleasant situation and keep on keeping on, which we share in the episode itself.
Some of these suggestions are:
- Remember to practice self-care!
- Remember you’re worth believing in yourself!
- Remember to stop and take stock of everything you’ve accomplished every now and then.
- Don’t stop writing, no matter what. Some of our Writer Moms eventually earned their family’s support just by showing up every day to write, no matter what.
- Manage your expectations.
- Write for yourself, and no one else. Make your writing passion 100% for you.
- Consider The Five Love Languages … if you’re sure to affirm your loved one’s love language every day in little ways (or big ways), you might find them so appreciative and feeling so loved that it eventually turns them more helpful, appreciative, and supportive toward you.
- Be a rebel! If someone in your life is telling you that can’t make it as a writer, do it just to prove them wrong!
- Keep in mind what staying dedicated to something you love shows your kids!
- There’s also chocolate… lots and lots of chocolate…
- And as one of our Writer Moms said: “Haters gonna hate, but writers gonna write. And if you let them get to you, if you let them take away your joy of writing, you let them win.”
Don’t let them win! There’s more about each of these coping mechanisms within the episode itself, so be sure to give it a listen!
Then, head over and join our Writer Mom Facebook community to find the support you might be lacking from your family! Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Can’t wait to see you there!