Episode 5: Frost Kay and Writing for a Higher Purpose
Writer Mom Life Episode 5: Frost Kay and Writing for a Higher Purpose
Frost Kay started her indie journey as many of us do – as a reader. She was a beta and ARC reader, as well as editor for others, so when she finally got the push to write her own work, she knew where to go for advice. And it seems to be working well for her! Her first book, came out in March of 2017 and has stayed high in the rankings. The second book in the series launched in August and is sitting pretty in the top 20 in her categories. However, her goal is not at all focused on rank and money. She wants to give people an escape through her books, as well as feature strong and positive female role models (and male role models for her two little boys)!
While Daphne was tempted to go back and redo everything in French, since it turns out they both speak the language, they talked about all sorts of different things in English instead:
-Her involvement in the indie community as a reader before starting to write
-How long she waited between finishing the book and publishing
-Her first NaNoWriMo experience with two kids (#SpoilerButNotReally: it was hard!)
-Her main focus is as a mom, not a writer
-How much sleep and how much writing time she gets in (bonus non-writing tip about getting kids to learn another language!)
-Taking weekends off
-Her goal to give people an escape through her books
-Deciding to write strong female characters
-Her recent trip to Europe (majorly jealous – it sounded so fun and inspiring!)
(Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.)
- Her website – get a sneak peek of her books and some lovely coloring pages for some adult coloring time.
- Book 1 and Book 2 in the Aermian Feuds series
- Her novella is in the Fire and Fantasy collection, out September 12th and available for preorder now!
She mentions GenreCrave as a marketing tool for indie authors that she used and liked.
J. R.’s tips and links:
Finding your WHY (your higher purpose) is sooo important! Here are some resources about the research behind why this is and how to go about finding it yourself (if you haven’t already)!
- Start with Why – TEDTalk by Simon Sinek
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Motivation – Michael Hyatt
- The Importance of Finding Your One Thing – blog post by J. R. Frontera about how finding her why transformed her life
- How to Find and Do Work You Love – TEDTalk by the late Scott Dinsmore
- The Dreambook – a planner that’s FAR more than a planner! Guides you through imagining your best life and discovering your true purpose!
- 5 Days to Your Best Year Ever – Michael Hyatt’s online course for aligning your life according to your values and accomplishing your biggest goals (currently closed, but open again SOON! Don’t miss it!)
Find your why and use it to your advantage! You’ll be so glad you did! Good luck!