Episode 16: Yesenia Vargas and Twitter for Authors
Writer Mom Life Episode 16: Yesenia Vargas and Twitter for Authors
If you’ve searched for “writer mom” in Google, you’ve probably seen Yesenia Vargas’s site, writermom.net. With 2 kids, 2 sweet YA series, a blog, and a YouTube channel, her days are pretty full. After not finding that perfect planner to keep her writer mom life organized, she made her own! Daphne gets all the details for you, and also chats with Yesenia about:
- Her decision to leave teaching to focus on writing and her kids
- Her approach to writing as running a business
- How her definition of success has changed – it’s no longer the “default” of 6 figures
- Why being debt free is more important than hitting a certain income number
- Her weekly schedule with a baby and a kindergartner
- Why she’s trying to get to bed earlier
- Where she found inspiration for her morning ritual (hint: it’s a book from another great writer mom we’ve had on the show!)
(Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.)
J. R. Frontera’s Tips and Resources
This week on the tips, J. R. and Daphne discuss Twitter, and all the benefits (and FUN) it offers for writers! (Or anyone, really.) Funny thing, both J. R. and Daphne avoided Twitter for a long time! J. R. because she thought it was kinda stupid, and Daphne because she felt it was too personal, and didn’t want to go there yet.
But as they both find out, Twitter is actually a pretty awesome place, where you can connect with nearly anyone you could ever think of wanting to connect with.
J. R. gave in and joined Twitter a few years ago, and Daphne finally jumped on the wagon for the benefit of the Writer Mom Life podcast just recently. And both of them have enjoyed every second of it ever since! Give the episode a listen to hear their personal stories about Twitter and get some tips for how to leverage it best as an author.
You can also check out the following resources from J. R. on the subject:
- Twitter for Authors, the quick, no-nonsense pocket guide: why Twitter is good for you, which hashtags to follow, and how to engage with industry professionals!
- Top 5 Reasons I Participate in the Monthly Twitter Writing Challenges, and why you should, too
- Why Twitter became my favorite social media
- About the ever-elusive way to create an awesome Twitter bio, here’s a good article on ways to do it!
- Another great breakdown of what to put in your Twitter bio is here!
- Daphne’s take on her first month tweeting.
And don’t forget to look us up on Twitter while you’re there!
- J. R. is at @lightning_bug_ (yeah, she created the account before learning all the stuff you should do when creating a handle, so, that’s what she’s got!)
- And Daphne is at the official Writer Mom Life Twitter account @WriterMomLife
See you there!